Tuesday, March 23

Why I bought some cheap wine

I recently stopped by at whole foods for the single purpose of picking up a couple of bottles of cheap wine. All I had at home were "special occasion wines" so I had nothing that I was willing to just pop open for a glass of wine. My philosophy with wine buying is that I would rather pay more money for something I have tried and liked then less money for something I might not like at all, but that day I decided I would spend under $20 on some wine and if I liked one of them, that would be great too! With a couple of suggestions from the helpful guy in the wine section I left with a 2008 Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages, and a 2008 Borsao Campo de Borja from Spain.
Tonight I felt like a bit of wine so I first reached for the Louis Jadot, which seems to be a super-market staple, and could not stand it (I have kept it and will revisit it tomorrow), so I reached for the Spanish wine hoping for something better. This wine did not disappoint, it was fruity, a bit spicy and quite delicious.
The point of the story is I still don't know whether to pay a bit more money for a wine I know I like or buy more cheap wine and hope to be surprised by a quality affordable option.
I think it boils down too the fact that I paid $20 for two wines and liked one of them when I would have spend $30 or more on one wine that I knew I would like.
Then again I can think of many wines for around $30 that I like more than the Borsao Campo de Borja.
I think there is a happy medium there somewhere I just need to discover it.
Maybe thats the answer?

No comments:

Post a Comment